May 1, 2020
May is National Strawberry Month
Containers of strawberries displayed in a local farmer’s marketSource: Strawberries | Penelope Peru Photography
Happy National Strawberry Month! Although you can’t visit your local orchard to handpick your own berries right now, you can still celebrate this delectable fruit all month long from home.
Strawberry Fun Facts
- The widely cultivated large strawberries have their historic roots in 18th century Europe
- Approximately 1.5 million tons of strawberries are produced in the United States annually
- California is home to the bulk of strawberry production in the US, although strawberries are grown in all 50 states
- The strawberry industry yielded $3.1 billion in California in 2018, $3.5 billion nationwide
- Strawberries are the seventh most popular consumed fruit in the US
- There’s an entire museum dedicated to strawberries in Wépion, Belgium
- Strawberries are a cousin in the rose family of plants
- According to Stanford Magazine, strawberries and raspberries aren’t technically berries – they’re an “aggregate fruit,” but tomatoes and bananas meet the definition of a berry
- Strawberries are packed with vitamin C. 100g of strawberries contains 56mg of vitamin C, which is 62 percent and 75 percent of the daily recommended amount for men and women, respectively
- In France, strawberries were once touted as an aphrodisiac
How to Celebrate National Strawberry Month at Home
Strawberries displayed in a sleek, white bowlSource: Pexels
Grow Your Own Strawberries
If you live in USDA Hardiness Zones three through five, now is the perfect time to start a strawberry garden in your own backyard, according to StrawberryPlants.org.
How to grow and harvest strawberry plants outdoorsSource: How to grow & harvest strawberry plants | bandq
You can determine which zone you live in by viewing the USDA Hardiness Zone Map here.
Additionally, Gardening Know How says strawberries can be grown indoors with relative ease. Their shallow root system allows them to thrive in most containers, they just need at least six hours of sunlight per day and to be checked daily for watering.
Rev Up Those Fryers
“Rev up those fryers!” from Spongebob Square PantsSource: Rev Up Those Fryers! | TeffiniWynn
Strawberry jam can be made quickly and easily right on the stovetop with the help of a food processor (or you can mash them with a fork).
The USDA also has a database of strawberry recipes you can make, and there are plenty of vegetarian options included, as well.
Glossy strawberry stickers and a strawberry doodle by burgundy bugSource: Original Art | Penelope Peru Photography
Strawberries are relatively easy to draw or paint, so why not embrace your inner creative with some strawberry inspired artwork?
Or, if music’s more of your forte, write a strawberry inspired song!
Interested in having content featured in an upcoming blog post or issue of The Burgundy Zine? Head on over to the submissions page!
For all other inquiries, please fulfill a contact form.