December 29, 2020
The Burgundy Zine 2021 Relaunch
By: burgundy bug
Summary of The Burgundy Zine 2021 RelaunchSource: The Burgundy Zine
New year, new zine guidelines! We are so excited to jump right back into the swing of things as we enter 2021.
As we had mentioned in our two-year anniversary post last month, The Burgundy Zine will go forward with an update to our zine and post scheduling.
We’re also implementing a few very important updates to our content submission processes, along with updates to our Strain of the Week and Weekly Newsletter series.
Table of Contents
- Zine & Post Scheduling Updates
- Content Submission Process Updates
- Strain of the Week Updates
- Weekly Newsletter Updates
Zine & Post Scheduling Updates
Switching to a bi-monthly format worked tremendously throughout 2020 and we can’t thank our contributors enough for all of their support.
This year, we would like to test the waters by switching to a quarterly format.
By releasing a zine every four months — as opposed to every other month — editor burgundy bug will have more time to focus on perfecting the layout and graphic design of each issue.
It gives our contributors more time to create and submit content for each digital magazine, as well.
Post Scheduling Updates
As you may recall, we published a lot of articles last year… And by a lot, we mean 368 articles — most of which were published between January and September.
At one point, we were publishing two to three posts per day.
To ensure a smooth transition back from our hiatus, we’re going to ease up a bit and start with publishing articles just a few times per week.
Again, this update gives bug more time to go over edits with our guest contributors. It also gives bug additional time to really perfect her own content.
Content Submission Process Updates
Above all else, the most important changes The Burgundy Zine will implement in 2021 are the updates to our content submission processes.
We still intend on carrying on our tradition of accepting pitches from anyone and everyone for free. Freedom of self-expression is at the very core of our beliefs, after all.
However, there will be a $10.00 (USD) fee for accepted content submissions from all new guest contributors for their first submission.
Anyone who has previously submitted content to The Burgundy Zine will not be subjected to the fee.
This helps us ensure content submissions are coming from a legitimate source and that it hasn’t been wrongly plagiarized from another individual.
Of course, heaven forbid something like that ever occurs, please contact us and we will resolve the situation as soon as possible.
Tune-In Tuesdays Updates
By the end of last summer, we were publishing two to three Tune-In Tuesdays per week. It was truly such an honor for us to have the opportunity to collaborate with so many talented individuals.
However, bug is currently the only member of The Burgundy Zine who manages, writes, and coordinates our Tune-In Tuesdays series.
As a result, we’re going to start off 2021 with just one Tune-In Tuesdays per week.
Individual musicians will be charged a $5.00 submission fee per track. This guarantees their song submissions will have a spot on our Spotify playlist, Weekly Roundup, and in our quarterly zine.
Public relations specialists and outreach coordinators will be charged a $10.00 submission fee for a month of unlimited music submissions. This can be renewed on an as-need basis.
Again, this guarantees all of the musicians they share with us will be featured in our Spotify playlist, Weekly Roundup, and our quarterly zine.
The monthly fee will only be applicable for each month that the PR/outreach specialists are sending us musicians.
Each submission also has a chance to be featured in our weekly Tune-In Tuesdays series for a song review or an interview.
However, please bear in mind that we have limited availability for Tune-In Tuesdays features.
Features & Advertising Updates
We often receive requests to add links to other individual’s content to pre-existing posts.
However, we typically just advertise the articles on our blog, rather than editing content that’s already been published.
From here on out, all link submissions will be charged a $10.00 fee and instead will be featured in our Weekly Roundup.
We still intend on offering sidebar advertisements for $15.00 a month and banner advertisements for $25.00 a month, as well.
Prices for advertising in our digital magazine are still as follows:
- Half page advertisement: $15.00
- Full page advertisement: $25.00
- Two page advertisement: $50.00
Strain of the Week Updates
Those who’ve been part of our community for a while may recall our medical cannabis review series, Strain of the Week.
Well, we’re bringing it back — and with a twist. Co-writer Xavier (XtaSeay) is launching a brand-spankin-new cannabis review and education series on our blog.
Weekly Newsletter Updates
Along with the return of our weekly newsletter, we’re implementing a Weekly Roundup series that features external links to articles, artwork, and music that has been submitted to us.
What is an external link? It’s a link to content outside of our website to other content — i.e. links to posts on other blogs, artwork on other websites, and music on other streaming platforms.
The weekly newsletter and Weekly Roundup will be available on our blog every Sunday. You can also subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter directly to your email inbox, as well.
Email Newsletter Updates
Which leads us to our next point — we’re finally migrating to MailChimp for our weekly email newsletters! Woohoo! This will allow us to create beautiful, cutting-edge email newsletters.
The changes to our email newsletters will be implemented within the coming weeks.
We can’t thank you enough for all of your patience, support, and understanding this year. It truly means the world to us and we are so proud of our beautiful community.
Although it may seem like we’re changing up a lot, we promise to still deliver content that’s on par with (if not better) than what you know and love The Burgundy Zine for. <3
TL;DR — Summary of the Upcoming Changes
Zine & Post Scheduling Updates Summary
- The Burgundy Zine will release a digital magazine every four months, as opposed to every other month
- We’re going to publish articles a few times per week, as opposed to 10 to 14 articles per week
Click here to read the full “Zine & Post Scheduling Updates” section.
Content Submission Process Updates Summary
- New guest contributors will be charged a $10.00 fee for their first content submission
- Returning guest contributors will not be charged a fee
Click here to read the full “Content Submission Process Updates” section.
Tune-In Tuesdays Updates Summary
- We’re going to start our relaunch by publishing just one Tune-In Tuesdays per week
- Individual musicians will be charged $5.00 per track submission
- PR will be charged $10.00 for a month of unlimited music submissions
- All music submissions will be featured in our Spotify playlists, Weekly Roundup, and in our zine
- All music submissions will also have a chance of being featured in our weekly Tune-In Tuesdays series for a song review or interview
Click here to read the full “Tune-In Tuesdays Updates” section.
Features & Advertising Updates Summary
- Link submissions will be charged a $10.00 fee for a feature in our Weekly Roundup
- Sidebar advertisements on our website are available for $15.00 per month
- Banner advertisements on our website are available for $25.00 per month
- Half page advertisements are available in our digital magazine for $15.00
- Full page advertisements are available for $25.00
- Two page advertisements are available for $50.00
Click here to read the full “Features & Advertising Updates” section.
Strain of the Week Updates
- Strain of the Week co-writer Xavier is launching a new cannabis review and education series.
Click here to read the full “Strain of the Week Updates” section.
Weekly Newsletter Updates
- We’re implementing a Weekly Roundup series in our weekly newsletters
- The Weekly Roundup will feature links to blog articles, artwork, and music outside of our website (a.k.a. external links)
- We’re finally migrating our newsletters to MailChimp for a new and improved look
Click here to read the full “Weekly Newsletter Updates” section.
Again, thank you for being part of our community and for believing in The Burgundy Zine. We covered a lot in this update, so if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out!
Please note: We are still responding to all of the emails we received during our hiatus, so if you haven’t heard back from us yet you will soon!
With love, gratitude, and sincerity,
The Burgundy Zine
Interested in having content featured in an upcoming blog post or issue of The Burgundy Zine? Head on over to the submissions page!
For all other inquiries, please fulfill a contact form.